Dr. Ricardo Duchesne, professor of social studies at the University of New Brunswick Saint John, was a guest on Red Ice Radio, speaking about his book, the Uniqueness of Western Civilization, on April 18, 2014.
Here were some of the highlights I noted:
- Cultural Marxist professors who criticize Western Civilization highlight a dilemma, of criticizing the very civilization that has allowed them to be critical, compared to other civilizations where there is no such opportunity at all, or to the same extent
- They say that Western Civilization is only one civilization among many others, with no special significance attached to it
- Frankfurt School behind notion that Western Civilization had to change
- Reasons for notion of universalism in Western societies:
- Europe the most connected with the rest of the world
- Greek Empire, Roman Empire
- Universalism of Christianity
- Systematic development and application of the scientific method
- While Europeans adopted inventions of others, they also improved upon them, and came up with completely new inventions
- Western Civilization unique because of interconnectedness with the rest of the world, systematic exploration and settlement of parts of the globe, compared to the Chinese, who mostly wanted to explore and show off their big ship technology
For more on Dr. Duchesne, see my April 12, 2014 interview with him here.